Monday, September 7, 2009

Plastic

I know some of you don't like or watch Oprah, but I do watch most of her shows. She did a show earlier this year on the use of plastic and it's impact on marine life. It has forever haunted me since the day I watched it and it makes me so, so aware of using plastic. I have not stopped thinking about this ever since and it makes me think twice whenever I go into a grocery store. It definitely had a huge impact on me. I had no idea what it was doing to our ocean and to marine life.

Knowing that we are contributing to this and can do something about it is HUGE. This is an educational show. I encourage you to use reusable bags when grocery shopping and to cut down on plastic overall. And please recycle your plastic bags at selected grocery stores that take them. (This is not to say that I have stopped using plastic completely, it's hard to do that when most products we buy are plastic, but I have definitely cut back). Here is a link if you're interested. The use of plastic.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I haven't seen Oprah's show, but I read an article within the last year about how there's this giant swirling mass of garbage somewhere out in the ocean. It's huge, like the size of a state or something. It's really sad.
We do need to make ourselves more aware of our impact on the planet!

KELLY said...

Yes, Krista, you are right, it's become basically a landfill in our ocean the size of Texas. It's really sad.